Friday 14 June 2013

Post 2 - My Childhood

I'm not going to bore you with memories of Christmas's gone by or embarrassing pictures of a younger me. However thinking about this blog and it's aim it got me thinking of the relationship I had with food as a child.


My dad RIP. was very traditional. We grew our own veg, potatoes, tomatoes etc every year. I remember spending many a summer evening watering the onions... I digress. He was very anti processed foods and also foreign food (I never had my first curry until I was around 14) we cooked from scratch and baked, or at least attempt to bake most things. Bread that was better used as a door stop was interesting!

Everyone goes to McDonalds and the like these days, it seems 'normal' yet I didn't until I was again around 14, and only then we went as a relative took us. My dad wouldn't spend his money on that muck as he called it. Now a McDs visit is commonplace for us. 

I always thought back then that he was harsh, tight etc. I know now that he was giving us the best start he could and he wasn't being mean not letting us go to McDs and eat fast foods.

He was very anti the big supermarkets selling quick, easy processed foods. Like cake mixes bought in a packet that needed only an egg and a quick mix, which when baked were relatively flat and heavy (because there was no air incorporated into the mix by whisking ,which makes them light and fluffy) Many a heated discussion was heard between him and my mum over processed versus fresh/natural.... and he detested margarine. 


When I was on my 3rd supersized (it was back then. Now equivalent to a 500ml bottle) can of Pepsi in a day that I bought with my YTS wages, he didn't hesitate to pour down the sink.

It just shows how attitudes to food have changed, which leads to my next post.










No comments:

Post a Comment