Friday 14 June 2013

Post 1 - What's It All About?

Catchy title I know.

So my 'blurb' may come across as a little out there. So let's back track a bit (I had wanted to fit it all in the box but I was over the word count)

My interest in human biology has been there for as long as I can remember. I wanted to be a nurse, a doctor etc. I've now settled on scientist, but don't ask what specialty etc just yet... everything I've studied up to now has been amazing (I've just completed my 1st yr studying Medical Physiology) 


It's fair to say my other interest is food.

When I was younger I had the typical slim straight up and down boyish figure, so much so I often was mistaken as a boy because of having the name 'Chris' Of course I didn't embrace the boyish figure... I wanted curves!

I met my then boyfriend when I was 17, who was also slim, however his mum loved to cook. Sunday roasts were so big you'd need scaffolding to support the sides.... there was literally no room for anything else so it was piled on and on. In the early days I couldn't eat all that..... though I soon got used to the enormous portion sizes that they became the norm. If I ate at my parents I felt as though they'd starved me. Big portions eventually made for a big tum etc, this was my way of life for a long time. Even when we moved into our own house we still had big portions.

Fast forward a few years .... 


I discovered 5:2 The Fast Diet last year. The basics are you eat normally 5 days a week and for 2 days you restrict your calories intake to 500 calories if you're female or 600 if male. The idea here is that by fasting you give the body chance to do it's thing without having to be constantly sorting out your digestive system with intake after intake of food. Have a read of the link, it'll explain it much better than I have.

I started this in January 2013 and by April I'd lost over a stone, I had more energy and felt great..... fantastic.

However... I still wasn't happy with the fat stomach, I wanted washboard! I've read many articles over the years that suggested you couldn't get such a flat stomach. Maybe washboard was a bit over zealous?? if nothing I wanted to lose the muffin top. 


I then discovered the Low Carb High Fat lifestyle.... I say that rather than diet, which goes the same for 5:2, because it is achievable and maintainable. Diet to me suggests it's used intermittently. 

LCHF changes the way you think about food. I admit I've not found it easy and I'll share this later on but I have seen improvements which diminished no sooner did I eat that cake/chocolate/ice cream.
I won't go into too much detail yet as this isn't intended to convert everyone but to provide facts and information so we all can make informed choices.


So here I am blogging away. Why you may ask.... many reasons and the more I think the more that come to mind. I hope you'll join me in plenty of discussion on a huge subject that may affect our health at some point. 










No comments:

Post a Comment